Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Slumber 6/100

My eyes are heavy and so they fall
While I protest slumber's siren call
I'm not done with today, I lie, in vain,
As still my consciousness does wane

The hour is late, the day is nigh done
Five more minutes til tomorrow's begun
And yet I cling to the scarce scraps of the now
Plugging the sands, stop them falling somehow

Time runs so fast when I need to stay here
Thoughts of tomorrow are more tedious to bear
But this moment is soft, safe and fading
On the brink of myself, into dreams wading

Who am I when I sleep? Where does the time go?
For I know not of it, I've nothing to show
Investment in sleeping that returns mornings cold
Bid goodnight youthful, and wake again old

Yet for all its despair, I yearn for this break
Let someone else watch the world til I wake
Wrap me in blankets and tuck me in tight
As I slip from this world and dreaming takes flight






No comments:

Post a Comment